Saturday, June 23, 2012

4 Shia: A Big Vision for Reviving The Cocoa Glory Days


By Wednesday it is well and truly time to wash my lank hair. The feel of the cold water on my sweaty head and running down my hot, clammy body is blissful. Today is the day to get properly clean and put on a light dress because today I will interview Justus about his distinguished career and vision for the cocoa industry!

I have woken up with a sore throat and stuffy nose and tiny spots on my stomach and have a momentary panic about malaria but realise it is more likely just a minor bacterial infection and flea bites, not mozzie bites.

I spend a solid four hours writing under the fan in the living room, feeling useful and productive, rather than an aimless interloper. It is satisfying to record my observations and subjective experience, hopefully of interest to some curious readers beyond this insular community.

I wander to the dusty High Street in search of throat lozengers but buy two large bottles of gin for Justus instead, to thank him for his hospitality.

After lunch with Anna and Gabi, I settle in for a comprehensive interview with Justus with my little recorder primed for two hours of taping.

I am hoping the Global Development Editor of the Guardian will pick up the story of how this small, rural community is embarking on an innovative and sustainable project that will set up future generations.

Half way through, we are interrupted by a group of villagers who come to consult Justus on some worrying matter. People continually drop by the house to seek his wisdom. He listens for a few minutes and gives a ruling and they leave with the issue resolved. 

When we re-start our interview, Justus outlines his vision for reviving the cocoa industry throughout the region by forming a Union of 300 farmers of small plots. There will be strength in working together. He wants to bring jobs and income to the people here that they once enjoyed before the fires of 1983 destroyed the farms. The ambitious goal is to establish a factory where the beans are ground into powder for export.

Suddenly an afternoon downpour drowns out our conversation and cools the sweetly scented air. A gush of water streams off the roof and runs into the drum filling it for our washing needs, in a perfectly natural cycle. No wonder they are not that worried about the lack of plumbing.

After our interview concludes Justus and Gabi and Anna and I enjoy a glass of gin and tonic and I whip up a bowl of guacamole to have with crackers. Yesterday an old man came to the verandah, sat on floor and took out five plump avocadoes from a sack. We realised this was a wordless transactional moment so I fetched three cedis and he glided away happy and I was impressed with his enterprising home delivery service!

We chat passionately over our drinks about potential cash crops for this verdant tropical region; Justus tells us a substance in mango kernels can be used for weight loss to combat the epidemic of obesity in the west. I suggest coconuts, rich in nutrients are a super food with immense commercial possibilities and permaculture would be ideal for these small farms. I remember an Australian expert whom I will google search. The locals could use some input of outside expertise to train them in these ecological methods. 

Tonight’s meal is a veritable feast; fat yam chips, red curry sauce, chicken for Gabi and Anna and hard boiled eggs for me, mouth-watering corn on the cob followed by chunks of succulent mango.

I never know what will happen next. Clinton approaches me with a request to buy him some football boots. I quiz him about how necessary they are. If he had a choice between boots and camera what would he choose? How dedicated is he to football? He mounts a persuasive case.

Why should I buy Clinton football boots? Because he asked. Because he needs them. Because he wants them. Because I can.

So I ask his mother’s permission and Doris not only agrees but asks if I can also buy some for his best friend Felix. I realise later that she is not being greedy. She is being fair. The boys train together every morning and it wouldn’t be right for Clinton to have the advantage of proper boots with stops over his friend.

John also told me yesterday that you cannot give a Ghanaian one gift. It would be lop sided, like hopping on one foot. Visitors always present two bottles, not one, to the chief. I can not dispute this logic.
 
So we devise a plan to take Clinton and Felix to Ho on Friday when Anna and Doris go food shopping. I will take the boys to try on and buy their boots. Of course Clinton knows exactly where the shop is. He has been praying and wishing for them for a very long time. Everyone deserves to have their prayers and wishes come true.    

No comments:

Post a Comment