Thursday, June 14, 2012

Facing Challenges Before the Adventure Even Begins



Trudging up a steep hill in a sudden downpour in the unfamiliar terrain 
of North London, rushing breathless to the Ghana High Commission 
marks the start of my ‘pre-trip’ adventure.

Waiting damp and dishevelled, wide-eyed and anxious, amongst coolly confident Ghanaians, for Number 336 to be called, I am fretting. These grim mug shots are not exactly ‘recent’ and I forgot to give the proper references.

But relief! The covering letter from Madventurer is sufficient endorsement. I hand over the forms and my precious passport and pay £50 by credit card and will now wait on delivery by snail mail.

Applying for a Visa for Ghana is a simple procedure really and doesn’t warrant such stress. But all first-time experiences are fraught with apprehension of the unknown. Next time will be a snap!

I don’t want this volunteering lark to be just a self-indulgent feel-good exercise. I want to make a tangible contribution to the lives of the children in the orphanage.

So I ponder my skillset that relates to children. I am not a teacher and have no gritty hands-on experience in schools. In fact, as a young mum I was slightly terrified of the rowdy, chaotic school scene and preferred my glamorous role in the local media and sitting on committees as my way of contributing to community causes to getting down and dirty in the classroom!

But it’s time to get practical. What can I do? I can read books to children. Yes, I’m good at reading stories! So I rack my brains to remember some favourites from my kids’ childhoods and settle on The Very Hungry Caterpillar (actually The Very Annoying Caterpillar for parents forced to read it over and over!) and The Little Red Hen (a cautionary tale about helping with the work if you want the rewards!) 

So I order these books to pack in my suitcase along with my new ukulele and the humble songbook I’ve compiled of simple children’s gospel songs. These were my favourites as a kid: This Little Light of Mine, He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands, We Shall Not Be Moved, Kumbaya.

I’ve been tipped off by English visitors to African countries to have a few songs ready to sing at social gatherings as a way of cross cultural sharing and instant bonding. 

So now it’s a matter of practising my ukulele chords and rhythm so I can hold a tune and the kids can have a laugh! I can picture them giggling, their white teeth flashing grins of delight at this white woman with yellow hair singing off-key!

And I can run cooking classes for the older kids and spread the joy of lentil burgers and my simple vegetarian dishes. I’ve made a little recipe book including Bliss Balls, yummy healthy sweets and ever-reliable lentil burgers. I’m planning to start a Lentil Burger Revolution as the panacea to world hunger! 

Jabs of Surprise

I am an optimist by nature, of the blithe ‘that would never happen to me’ mindset rather than a worrier who imagines every possible travel disaster from contracting rare diseases and being mugged to losing luggage and being attacked by disgruntled rhino’s.

So it is with utter surprise bordering on shock that I receive two brutal jabs, one in each flabby arm, when I visit the clinic. I expect to pick up a painless little script for malaria tablets and have a pleasant chat with the nurse who would reassure me that I didn’t need any injections because visiting the tropical paradise of Ghana was really quite safe and only really nervous pessimists would opt for precautions. Wrong!

Jab One is for Tetanus/Diphtheria/Polio and Jab Two is for Hepatitis A.
Bam! Bam! Just like that! And furthermore I am to return next week for a Yellow Fever injection with cash or cheque of 65 quid for another stinging stab and certificate, which is necessary for entry into Africa. Thankfully the certificate is valid for 10 years of travel.   

As for the malaria tablets they cost £2.30 a pop and I need to take them before, during and after my trip for 30 days in total. However when I read about the disease I realise it is not a risk to be messed with, even for a cheerful optimist.

The nurse refers me to the Fit for Travel website and I read about a colourful array of tropical diseases, cholera, parasites and rabies I could be immunised against if I want to be extra careful but I decide I’ve got it covered.

So I turn up at the clinic the following week for my Yellow Fever jab and get a reprieve when I say I’m going to see the West End musical, Singing In The Rain tonight. Because it’s possible to have a reaction, the nurse suggests I reschedule. I am relieved because I’m feeling nervous about this injection.

A week later and there’s no excuses. I’m here with Nurse Lydia and she has her shiny needle. But my fears are allayed; it’s only a little prick and goodness knows I’ve endured some little pricks in my lifetime! So my micro dose of Yellow Fever will activate my army of antibodies to be ready to fight the real thing if necessary. Now I will find out if I have a reaction over the next 10 days. No reaction whatsoever! Yippee!

Packing Goodies

It’s the final week before blast-off and I decide not to take my ukulele on advice from husband Andrew, a former primary school teacher, who reckons the kids might get bored and frustrated with my two songs and three chords, expecting someone who totes an instrument (even a small one) to be able to adeptly play requests on demand. 


So my challenge for my next trip is to extend my repertoire and master a few more chords!

Thursday afternoon and I’m making a ‘dash’ by bus to Richmond Spec Savers to pick up my new contact lenses and I enjoy a phone call with friend Stephanie in Costa over a cuppa who suggests I take some face paints!

After protesting that I can’t draw for nuts, she says that simple hearts, stars and flowers will suffice to delight the kids. So I go in search of a toy shop and come away with face paint, stickers, crayons and an assortment of little novelty gifts. The well-meaning lady urges me to take bags of lollies but I’d rather introduce the kids to healthy treats so resist the temptation!

Back at home I raid my stationery supplies and gather up loads of great stuff to donate to the school. Later I catch up with our Pastor Charles who hails from Ghana and he gives me the low down on the geography, the culture, the people and a simple Akan greeting “Ayekooo” which translates “I see you are working hard, well done” or in Australian “Good On Ya Mate”. Now that is an expression I can understand!

So I am all set, as ready as I’ll ever be, filled with excitement, as I go a little MAD, taking my first trip to Africa! I hope I will Make A Difference to the Ghanaian children and adults I meet but I am sure they will enrich my life with ‘difference’. Quite likely I will never be the same.

1 comment:

  1. Fab reading, Diane. Can't wait to read about your actual adventures out there. Or is that 'madventures'?
    Charles

    ReplyDelete