Saturday, June 30, 2012

9 Ada Foah: My Foray into the Classroom


I wanted to be a teacher when I was a bright as a button first grader but by the end of primary school after I’d watched every episode of the original Superman on the old black and white telie, my role model switched from the lovely Miss Lamb to that gutsy newspaperwoman, Lois Lane.

So I am finding myself way out of my depth and floundering, like a swimmer caught in a current, in the classrooms at Asi-Daahey as a volunteer English teacher.

First off we all meet the irrepressible Grandpa, the 78-year-old Headmaster who welcomes us to his school and decides we would be most useful sharpening the students’ command of English. He introduces Beth and me to teacher Sarah who gives us the low-down on the lesson plans.

Now here I am in Grade 4 with a dozen shiny brown faces and huge eyes staring at me expectantly. So I reach for The Little Red Hen. The story is perhaps meant for younger children so I decide to lift the game by exploring the moral issues, quizzing them about the book’s meaning and introducing the big new word ‘consequences’.

I must admit my philosophical discussion of the consequences of actions is going down like a lead balloon. But we all agree it’s good to help each other in the village, especially if you want the rewards of nice warm bread!

I’m on a roll, so I unleash my other prized resource, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and the kids are mightily impressed with his voracious appetite but even more thrilled when he turns into a resplendent butterfly. The mystery and hope of metamorphosis inspires humans of any age and any culture!

Now the children teach me their language, Dangbe. They seize the one tiny piece of chalk and give a brilliant lesson. But the real teacher has arrived and I hand the class over to him and move on to Grade One.

Stunningly beautiful teacher Georgina invites me to help the children practise their letters. Then I do my star turn with that greedy binge-eater again and the children giggle with delight at the holes in the book and count aloud all the foods he munches through!

But the most joyous response comes from the three-year-olds in the nursery who clap their hands, shriek and cheer with every item the caterpillar devours. Wow! What an appreciative audience! But the whole story-telling session goes belly up when I stupidly give a child the book to look at expecting him to pass it to the next child!

I have forgotten that three-year-olds have not yet learnt the concept of sharing and my determined little friend is hanging on to the precious book with all his might and refusing the release it. Oh dear! What have I done! So I just make it worse but giving The Little Red Hen to another child and now he’s clutching it close to his little chest and kicking anyone who tries to swipe it!

I look around the barren classroom to see if there are any storybooks and there are none. I give the two books to teacher Christine, a patient old Mama, and she stashes them away in a safe place.

And now for a photo session but the toddlers don’t want to share the spotlight in a group shot. They all insist on individual mug shots and giggle with glee to see themselves on the little screen.

More pushing and shoving over possession of the camera! It predictably ends in tears and builds to sobbing and wailing so I wrap my arms around one distraught little chap and soothe him with rocking and whispering “shh, shh, shh” and he melts and calms down, soaking up the affection.

The little Ghanaian children are adorable. Some of the tiny boys look like mini-men; pint-size adults with their perfectly formed facial features and the little girls with their fuzzy heads or rows of tight braids and beaming smiles of snow white teeth are so pretty! And they jump like little monkeys! They launch at you from all directions and wrap their legs around your waist or grab onto a leg, eager for cuddles. All the volunteers, with their maternal juices flowing, have fallen in love with the irresistible children!     

Asi-Daahey school starts from nursery and goes up to Junior High but some of the students are strapping teens of 17, even 18. Set up in 1999 on the far-flung south-eastern coast, it now has about 200 students.

Madventurer supports the school with funding, and volunteers are assisting local skilled tradesmen to build massive dormitories to house orphans and abandoned children, who are assimilated with the other students. Parents pay modest fees as the school receives no government funding.

All the children eat a hot lunch and today us volunteers join the teachers for bean stew served with scoops of coarse, dry grain that tastes to me like saw dust. My naïve plan to introduce the school children to yummy, nutritious lentil burgers is fading fast. It seems the simple menu is set for every day of the week without deviation. 

After lunch students are training on the rough field for Athletics. Not being particularly sporty, Beth and I chat with some inquisitive 13-year-old girls who want to know all about life in England, our jobs and families and they are desperately keen for stationery, even my business cards!

Back at the MAD house, I want to conjure up some guacamole but the humble vegetable store out front doesn’t have avocadoes or very much at all for that matter so I buy some tomatoes, garlic, onions and tomato paste and make some salsa dip and crackers for everyone.

The rest of the volunteers, Aussie chick, Krystel, tall, blonde trainee nurse Grace and the youngest of the group, 17-year-old school girl from Wales, Kara and our two lads, wise-cracking Sam and sensitive James who are doing Business degrees, all return from a riotous trip away so our numbers swell to a very full MAD House with 14 of us sleeping in bunks in two bedrooms.   
  
I whip up an omelette for the vegetarians on a little gas stove in the dark hallway and the rest of the hungry mob tuck into something completely different, chicken and rice! 

It seems that in poor communities when something breaks it stays broken. There is a real need for handymen out here! The water and electricity can go off at any time for no apparent reason. I suspect the authorities ration water and power supply and turn it one and off throughout the day.

Tonight the water is off. Grace and I are rostered to wash the dishes in plastic tubs outside in the dark yard. Excited about throwing the bucket down the well to fetch some water, something I’ve never done before, I accidentally let go of the rope and it lands at the bottom of the well! Clever Elizabeth uses a long metal pole to hook the rope and ease it up the wall then lanky Grace leans in and grabs it, with much applause and cheers!

The dedicated volunteers sit around preparing exercise books for the kids’ lessons tomorrow, laughing and shrieking at their drawing efforts and singing along to some pop songs I’ve never heard. I am the oldie in the group but feel accepted as part of the MAD adventure! 




No comments:

Post a Comment